This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Remittance Basis

nwhung
Remittance Basis

Postby nwhung » Sat May 26, 2018 11:22 am

Hi everyone

I am from Hong Kong. My employer in Hong Kong will send me to UK as a sole representative, to set up a branch for 5 years.

I will stay in UK to work for more than 200 days per year.

And the salary will be paid as below:

Hong Kong mother company : GBP 1650/month (i won't remit the money to my UK account)

UK branch: GBP1650/month

Can I claim the remittance basis for 5 years? (it means i will only pay the UK brand salary income tax)

Thanks.

maths

Re: Remittance Basis

Postby maths » Sun May 27, 2018 11:40 am

As a resident of the UK you are liable to UK income tax on any salary attributable to carrying out duties in the UK.

The question is what are the payments made by the HK company outside of the UK in respect of?

Assuming that such payments are justifiable as not related to UK duties the remittance basis may in principle apply to them.

bd6759

Re: Remittance Basis

Postby bd6759 » Sun May 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Dual contracts for essentially the same employment are chargeable to UK tax whether remitted or not.

Return to “Income Tax”