This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bad Accountant

M.Jawad
Bad Accountant

Postby M.Jawad » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi,

Just looking for some sound advice about my income, I've previously been a director of ltd companies from 2006 to 2012. I was young when I had these companies from aged 20 to 26 years, during this I wasn't aware of how income tax worked I honestly thought my accountant did it all for me.

Basically my accountant put me on a basic directors salary £8000 and a dividend payment of £32,500 p.a, this happened for 6 years but he had never did a SA302 for me as a director. When I questioned him he said that because I had NO tax to pay it wasn't required due to being lower than the threshold, being young I didn't think twice because he was employed as my accountant.

In 2012 I started working for the family business which used the same accountant, now that I've left the family business this year after a fall out I've realised after phoning a FSA for a remortgage that my taxes and income have been messed up even though this accountant has been paid to do his job.

I've become a Director again in 2018 and had a meeting with a possible new accountant he has told me he needs to do a SA3O2 for 2017/2018 for me in order for me to remortgage, when I told him I've never done one when I lasted owned a company he almost fell off his chair.

Now it looks like I've been given the wrong advise from my old accountant that I've been loyal with for the past 11 years, what do I do about my past income??
How can I put this right?

bd6759

Re: Bad Accountant

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:10 pm

If your accountant ensured your income was below the tax threshold, there was no need for you to file an income tax return. He hasn't done anything wrong.

M.Jawad

Postby M.Jawad » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 am

Thanks for the reply, but doesn't he need to do a SA for my income. How would HMRC know what I'm earning if a SA wasn't completed?

I'm worried HMRC will show up and say I owe XYZ for not declaring my income.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:28 pm

The simple question here is "Do you owe tax?" If so, you need to sort it. If not, there is nothing to sort.

Return to “Income Tax”