This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EEA furnished holiday letting income.

WINDSURFER
EEA furnished holiday letting income.

Postby WINDSURFER » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am

Hello I am hoping for some advice on income from furnished holiday lettings on my tax return. I have jointly owned a furnished holiday letting in Portugal with my wife since last year. We assumed this would have to be included on our self assessment forms but the relevant section seems to say that furnished holiday lettings in the EEA which qualify for the occupancy & usage etc. (ITTOIA/S323-326A, CTA09/S265-268A) do not need to be included. We pay tax on the income in Portugal.
Am I right in thinking that we do not need to declare the income or have I misunderstood this.
Thanks for any advice.

bd6759

Re: EEA furnished holiday letting income.

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Which of these defining sections (that is sections that define the meaning of words and phrases) do you think tells you not to include the income in a tax return?

WINDSURFER

Postby WINDSURFER » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm

It is section 3 'Tailor your return' the help section of 'If you received any foreign income, do you need to complete the foreign section'. One paragraph on what to include reads ' income from land and property abroad (but excluding furnished holiday letting income from properties in the European Economic Area (EEA)'
HMRC ITTOIA/S323-326A, CTA09/S265-268A lists the criteria

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:26 am

That is telling you that you do not report EEA FHL on the foreign pages.

You report FHL on the land and property pages.

WINDSURFER

Postby WINDSURFER » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:13 am

Oh now I understand, that makes sense now. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Income Tax”