This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

6 month rule on venture capital trusts

Oldtramp

6 month rule on venture capital trusts

Postby Oldtramp » Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm

I appreciate that I can't sell long-held VCT shares and claim tax relief if I participate in a new issue of shares in the same trust within 6 months. I also understand that, if I sell shares in a VCT, HMRC construes me to be selling those I've held for longest.

What, then, if I have 5000 shares in trust X, held for more than 5 years and, this year, participate in its new issue, buying another 5000, wait one day after the new shares are issued, then sell the 'old' 5000?

Clearly I carry investment risk and need more free cash to work this way.

But, is it caught by the 5-year rule or not?

SusanaP

Re: 6 month rule on venture capital trusts

Postby SusanaP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Interesting question. I keep investigating it and I have not found the correct answer to it. Hopefully another member of the community will help us

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”