This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

capital gains liability

birdsong
capital gains liability

Postby birdsong » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:48 pm

When my daughter moved to work in London some 5 years ago my brother and I purchased a flat for her.
We both contributed half of the cost, and the flat was registered in the names of my daughter and my brother.
On the coming occasion of my daughter’s wedding my brother would like to give my daughter his share of the flat to enable her to become the sole owner.
But since the initial purchase 5 years ago, my brother’s half share has significantly increased in value.
What is his position in respect to any CGT on the increase in value of his half, if he gifts it to my daughter? On the assumption that he will have a CGT liability if he makes the gift, is there any way he could mitigate his CGT liability

pawncob

Re: capital gains liability

Postby pawncob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 am

Your brother's gain is the current market value less the original cost. He can offset his annual allowance against the gain.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

birdsong

Postby birdsong » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you very much Pawncob. I did however very carelessly omit a crucial factor. My brother resides in Canada and has never resided in the UK.
He has since been informed that his gain will be taxable in Canada and that he will have no UK liability due to the double taxation Treaty. Do you now see it this way?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 pm

You should read this.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661467/Taxing_gains_made_by_non-residents_on_UK_immovable_property_-_consultation.pdf

DTAs normally require gains to be taxed in the country of residence, with a deduction of the tax paid elsewhere, so he'd declare in Canada and get an allowance for the UK tax paid.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 am

It is actually the other way around, but the result is the same. The DTA allows the gain to be taxed in the UK. But as you say, the Canadian authorities will give relief for the UK tax paid.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”