This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Benefit in Kind

PRC
Benefit in Kind

Postby PRC » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi
I am a director of a LTD company, I own an apartment which is rented out at the moment and a company car, these combined reduce the amount I can earn before tax down to £5000.
The company i work for is going to rent me an unfurnished apartment near work at a cost of £7800 pa. This will now be treated as benefit in kind and i am assuming this will be for the full £7800. I am to pay council tax and utilities.
Can anyone tell me what in real terms this will reduce my monthly wage by please. I am hoping it can be worked out from the £7800 and i do not have to put wage up.
If this is possible i would love to hear from you, just working out whether it is viable or should i relocate.
Regards
PRC

bd6759

Re: Benefit in Kind

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Why does getting benefits from your company reduce your wage?

someone

Postby someone » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:09 am

It reduces your take home pay because the tax on the BIK is paid from your cash income.

I think for the OP the tax and NI due will be in the range 30-50% of the BIK depending on their marginal tax rate (roughly 200-300 per month in additional tax)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am

The OP says it reduces the amount he can earn, not the amount he takes home.

PRC

Postby PRC » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:02 am

It reduces your take home pay because the tax on the BIK is paid from your cash income.

I think for the OP the tax and NI due will be in the range 30-50% of the BIK depending on their marginal tax rate (roughly 200-300 per month in additional tax)
Thanks for the advice, I have also been told as a basic rate tax payer I can expect to loose 20% of the £7800 in monetary terms. Fingers crossed. Cheers for taking the time.
Regards Peter

Return to “Income Tax”