This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Chargeable event

SuffolkMan
Chargeable event

Postby SuffolkMan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:43 am

I have cashed in a bond that's in joint names with myself and my wife and received a Chargeable Event Certificate. The certificate shows chargeable gain £40,467 Tax paid £8,131 with 10 years since start. I am already paying tax at 40% and when I include 50% of the gain/tax paid on my self assessment return I have to pay additional tax because of the 40%. My wife only earned £5K last year and paid about £400 of PAYE tax which will be refunded. Her share of the gain includes 20% tax of £4,066 which is not refunded though. So I am getting an additional bill but she cannot get a refund. Seems a bit unfair. Anything I can do?

bd6759

Re: Chargeable event

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am

The "tax paid" is not tax that you have paid. It has not been deducted from the amount payable to you. It is a notional amount designed to cover your basic rate liability. This is on the basis that the financial institution will have paid corporation tax on its profits on the underlying investments

maths

Re: Chargeable event

Postby maths » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Unfortunately there is nothing you can now do.

You/wife are separate taxpayers.

The tax shown as paid on the certificate is in effect a credit (at the basic rate of 20%) for tax paid by the life insurance company on its funds (this assumes the life company is not offshore).Hence if you are subject at 40% on the gain your liability is a net 20%.

As you say this notional credit is not recoverable by your wife.

Return to “Income Tax”