This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mileage allowance taxable?

whitehouse_
Mileage allowance taxable?

Postby whitehouse_ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am

Hi :)

I am a carer and so do quite a lot of miles on my car. I get a mileage allowance of 45p/mi (standard amount iirc). Worst case scenario, the car costs me around 40p a mile, and in actual use it costs me half of that (high mileage, low running cost, cheap car! :) ) so technically I profit from the mileage allowance. Which is why I wonder, is this taxable? I've looked at this after tax website (https://www.after-tax.co.uk/) and worked out what tax I would pay on this per year, and it's not an insignificant amount. Should I be worrying or do I not need to do anything?

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm a little confused and couldn't find much for my own situation. Thanks in advance! :)

bd6759

Re: Mileage allowance taxable?

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Authorised mileage payments by an employer are not taxable. They are authorised if they are for allowable travel and do not exceed 45p for the first 10,000 miles and 25p thereafter.

Return to “Income Tax”