This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaration of trust and CGT on sale of rental house

GrumpyDoug
Declaration of trust and CGT on sale of rental house

Postby GrumpyDoug » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:05 pm

Hello. I bought a BTL property in 2010 and mistakenly my mortgage broker just had me (A) on the mortgage, omitting my wife (B). Hence it was only me showing as the sole owner at Land Registry. We proceeded with the sale and the solicitor drew up a Declaration of Trust to allow us to each benefit from 50% each of the income. We are now selling - my question is whether this also allows us to use our respective CGT allowances.

The wording that I believe does just this is:

3. The parties hereto have agreed that the Property shall be held by them upon trust for themselves in the shares hereinafter mentioned

NOW THIS DEED WITNESSETH as follows:-

1. As from the date hereof A shall hold the said property upon trust to sell the same and to hold the net proceeds of sale and the net income until sale upon trust as to

(a) A 50%
(b) B 50%

Thank you

SteLacca

Re: Declaration of trust and CGT on sale of rental house

Postby SteLacca » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 am

What type of trust? It makes a difference.

bd6759

Re: Declaration of trust and CGT on sale of rental house

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:37 pm

The type of trust is clear.

It gives each of you beneficial ownership of 50%, so you each declare half the gain.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”