This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT - rental sale

leehen
CGT - rental sale

Postby leehen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 pm

Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of 120,000.
July 14 - Increased lease (to 129 years) on 50% share for premium of £3160
Aug 15 - Staircased to full 100% - Property valued then at £200k so 50% being £100k. Therefore in total I paid £160,000 for the flat.
April 16 - Due to work and moving away had to rent out the property
Aug 16 - Found a new property to buy so transferred the flat to a BTL.
Sept 18 - Due to another work move selling my property bought in Aug 16 and looking to sell the BTL flat. (I'm moving into rented house for 6 months)

So my question is basically how do I work out the CGT on the flat
1 - based on the initial purchase method what is the property value I use
2 - a rough indication of CGT, as I am aware of the 18 month rule and the letting relief.
3 - If I sell my house and not the flat then go onto selling the flat later would this still be subject to CGT.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”