This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment Missing Amounts

philr85
Self Assessment Missing Amounts

Postby philr85 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi there,

My apologies if this is not in the right section.

I recently submitted my tax return for the 2017/18 tax year. I purchased a new laptop which, I use for work purposes. I completely forgot to claim this on my self assessment for 2017/18. Is there a way that I can either adjust my tax return now after submission or submit the cost of the laptop in next years tax return?

While on this subject I've done some research regarding capital allowances and cash basis accounting. Can anyone shed any light on the differences?

Many Thanks

P

pawncob

Re: Self Assessment Missing Amounts

Postby pawncob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 pm

If you did it online, just amend it.
Otherwise, write to HMRC and correct it.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

philr85

Postby philr85 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Excellent, thanks for your response.

Something like a laptop, can you tell me which section that goes under? Is it a capital allowance or does it go under another section?

Cheers

P

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Claim capital allowances on the laptop.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

philr85

Postby philr85 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Hey,

I submitted my amended tax return today with the amount paid for the laptop (mentioned above) entered in the capital allowances section. I also added in some expenses that I had completely forgotten about. When I first submitted this return I had overpaid tax and so was entitled to a refund. Now that I have submitted an amended return with the missing expenses added, surely that means I am entitled to an additional refund, however in the "View My Return" section the amount of tax overpaid has not changed. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

P

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Now that I have submitted an amended return with the missing expenses added, surely that means I am entitled to an additional refund, however in the "View My Return" section the amount of tax overpaid has not changed. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Hmmm - intruiging

Ok first up the obvious question which you will obviously answer yes to - You are aware that you can only get a refund of tax you have had deducted from your income ?, so claiming expenses below a certain point may not help your tax calc if all the tax you have had deducted at source has already been refunded on the original submission.

Presuming thats not the reason

There can be a time delay for hmrc to process amendments so the confirmed tax liability per the original submission will probably not change for a couple of days, before submission did you get a revised calculation that indicated the amounts would change - i would expect there is always the option to view how revisions will revise the tax comp before submitting. If the revised amounts showed up you then clicked submit i would expect you just need to wait the couple of days

Return to “General”