This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Share options - paying CGT

GavinM
Share options - paying CGT

Postby GavinM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 pm

I got share options in my relatively small company - but we didn't get too much official in the way of documentation.
2 years after the company was sold and my shares were cashed in as part of the deal, no big issue.

On the only documentation I've got it says for CGT is an example which doesn't match what we were given in the end.

Proceeds £50,000
Less PAYE tax witheld
Market value as agreed with HMRC £118.80
Less nominal value (£0.10)
Number of EMI options 15.00
£1,780.50
PAYE, NIC Ee, NIC Er taken off
Total at completion £45,000

It then says Capital gains tax due
Proceeds £50,000
Cost (118.80)
Gain £49,881.20
Annual allowance (11,300.00)
CGT @ 10% £38,581.20

First of all, did we pay for these shares or were they gifted if we had to pay PAYE and NI on them.

Where we have Proceeds then Cost, where does that cost of £118.80 come from as that appears to be the Market Value of one share, but we had 15 shares.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”