This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Car Fuel Expenses

chrisdude60
Car Fuel Expenses

Postby chrisdude60 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:26 am

Good morning All,

I recently moved from a company car to using my own car for work. The company now pay me £400 a month which is taxed alongside my salary for this. I buy fuel and claim back as an expense 9p per mile for my business mileage which I submit every month and am paid by BACS, no taxation.

My question is: Can I claim full tax relief on the 9p per mile?

I'm nowhere near the 40% tax bracket so this shouldn't complicate matters.

Any advice is appreciated.

robbob

Re: Car Fuel Expenses

Postby robbob » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 am

My question is: Can I claim full tax relief on the 9p per mile?
If you have been paid 9p per mile tax free you have already had tax relief on this amount by being paid tax free.

Thankfully for you the official rate for using your own car for work mileage (that is NOT ordinary commuting) is 45p mile (first 10k) / 25p therafter

So you can make a claim from hmrc for tax relief on the difference between the 45p/25p and the 9p you have received.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/vehicles-you-use-for-work

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”