This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax when working in 2 countries

philr85
Tax when working in 2 countries

Postby philr85 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi there,

In 2013 I moved to Canada and worked there for about three and a half years. I then came back to the UK and worked here for eight months. Then I returned to Canada for three months and now I am back working in the UK again. In each instance I have employed an accountant to sort out my tax returns up to this point.

Because I can travel to Canada and work (I am a permanent resident card holder of Canada), is it possible to be able to reclaim the cost of flights etc as a business expense or other type of expense? At the moment I am self employed in the UK and in Canada depending on the project, I could either be freelance or taxed at source (similar to PAYE here.)

I suppose what I am saying is that an organisation or other business, if it needed to conduct business in another country, can claim back the cost of flights and other expenses etc. I'm wondering if there's something similar I could do? Would I need to set myself up as a limited company? Therefore would all the work I did in Canada need to be something I invoiced for?

Thanks in advance.

P

Return to “International Tax”