This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on 'hobby' income

Riverbank
Tax on 'hobby' income

Postby Riverbank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:32 pm

In the last year my partner has started doing some paid DIY work alongside a self-employed part time office-based contract. Last financial year he earned around £3000 (mostly cash in hand) from the DIY work and had a lot of start up equipment costs + van hire expenses. So far this year he's earning on average £500 a month. An accountant friend advised this is more of a hobby than a job and so there was no need to declare it on his income tax return. Is this true? Thanks!

robbob

Re: Tax on 'hobby' income

Postby robbob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 am

An accountant friend advised this is more of a hobby than a job
What's the reasonig behind being a hobby when its paid work for profit?

Charging people for DIY work and making a profit (ignoring one of startup costs) - that sounds like a trade to me,particularly if he is making £500 (profit?) per month.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim20050

Riverbank

Postby Riverbank » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks for the response. It's an average of £500 per month in payments not profit - materials, van hire etc are included in payments. I guess the thinking behind the hobby advice is that the profit is too low to be a proper business. The idea is that my partner gains experience before deciding whether it's a viable business and one he wants to pursue.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

I agree with robbob, nothing about this sounds like a hobby.

It sounds as though the accountant friend is suggesting your partner tries it on. Not recommended. If HMRC were to challenge and any appeal finished up at tribunal, their purposeful interpretation of the law would almost certainly decide that the rules regarding hobbies were never intended to catch what is clearly a business (albeit a small one, but a business nevertheless).

Riverbank

Postby Riverbank » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 am

This is what I thought. He is declaring it now. Thank you!

scorpions321

Postby scorpions321 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 am

This is his hobby that's right but as he is getting paid its no longer a hobby. Its a job. Good to hear he is declaring it now.

Return to “Income Tax”