This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

hmrc vat reciept lost

omsairam
hmrc vat reciept lost

Postby omsairam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi,
I had registered with hmrc vat and thought that I will start a business. But I couldn't manage much, earned couple of hundred pounds. This was 1 year ago. I have lost receipts, I have hmrc visit me, can I show it via my credit card statements?? Please advise.

Thanks!

AdamS93

Re: hmrc vat reciept lost

Postby AdamS93 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm

No, you need a valid VAT invoice to reclaim VAT. So unless you can find them, you will be looking at repaying the VAT.

The credit card statements might be enough evidence to avoid any possible penalties.

les35

Re: hmrc vat reciept lost

Postby les35 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:03 pm

HMRC can allow input tax claims where you have 'alternative evidence.'
Follow this link: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/vat-input-tax/vit31200

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”