This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on residential property gifted from mother

agandhi605
CGT on residential property gifted from mother

Postby agandhi605 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 am

Hi,

I have a residential property bought in 2011 for £365,000. It was bought jointly in my name 50% (AG) and my mother 50% (UG). This is AGs primary residence. It is NOT UGs primary residence.

The property will now (2018) be transferred completely into AGs name. There will be no consideration given (no cash/goods to change hands). The value of the property is now £450,000. There has been an increase in the value of the property by £85,000.

Is my mother (UG) liable to pay any Capital gains tax on her share? Or is it exempt as it is a gift? Or is it exempt as it is a residential property?

Am I (AG) liable to any other taxation?

Many thanks

maths

Re: CGT on residential property gifted from mother

Postby maths » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Is my mother (UG) liable to pay any Capital gains tax on her share? Or is it exempt as it is a gift? Or is it exempt as it is a residential property?
Yes; no; no.
Am I (AG) liable to any other taxation?
Possibly IHT if mother dies within 7 years of making gift but on figures unlikely.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”