This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT on payment from joint account

sam66
IHT on payment from joint account

Postby sam66 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi, could anyone advise me on this one please:

My wife and I have a joint bank account (we don't have individual accounts) from which we plan to pay £50k to our children in the near future. This amount is over and above the NRB exemption limit.

If we both survive another 7 years, the £50k will not be subject to IHT. Correct?

What happens if ONE of us passes away before the seven years have lapsed? Will the whole amount attract IHT?

maths

Re: IHT on payment from joint account

Postby maths » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:21 pm

A gift of 50k from joint account is treated as if each of joint holders has gifted 25k; PETs.

If one of joint holders dies within 7 years IHT may arise (depends upon what other gifts have been made in previous 7 years). Assuming no earlier gifts then the 25k will fall subject at the 0% as it would fall within that person's nil rate band. This would reduce the nil rate band available on death of that joint holder.

For the other joint holder who has not died that person has no IHT issues.

sam66

Re: IHT on payment from joint account

Postby sam66 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you very much

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”