This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on company shares taken over or merged

estateexec
CGT on company shares taken over or merged

Postby estateexec » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I inherited some Cadbury Schweppes shares from my late father on his death in the late 1980's. Since then I have taken scrip dividend shares as opposed to cash dividends. Cadbury Schweppes, became the US company Dr Pepper Snapple in 2008 and now in 2018 has merged again to become Keurig Dr Pepper. If I was to sell my shareholding in Keurig Dr Pepper, can anyone advise whether I need to work out the base cost of the initial inherited shares, plus all scrip issue shares up to now or is a new base for capital gains established with each change of company name? Thank you

pawncob

Re: CGT on company shares taken over or merged

Postby pawncob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:31 pm

CadSchweppes provides all the info on their website. https://www.mondelezinternational.com/investors/stock-information/former-cadbury-shareholders

Your base cost will be the probate value plus all the scrip divs since, taking account of any splits on takeovers.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

estateexec

Re: CGT on company shares taken over or merged

Postby estateexec » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you very much for your help.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”