This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

At what point is VAT added to the sale of a van including a part exchange

Predatorx247
At what point is VAT added to the sale of a van including a part exchange

Postby Predatorx247 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 pm

I am in the market to renew my business vehicle.
I am a sole trader (landscaper) not VAT registered so i am aware that unless i find a van that is to be sold without VAT (VAT paid by previous owner) then i will have to pay VAT. - unless somebody knows of a way around this?
However what i am unsure of is how the VAT it to be added to the sale price of the vehicle. I want to know that Im not going to get conned by a dealer and also what my actual budget is, based on the answer to my question.

Example 1:
Forecourt price £10,000+VAT.
VAT £2,000.
Total £12,000
Part exchange -£2,000 NO VAT
Total payable £10,000

Example 2:
Forecourt price £10,000+VAT
Part exchange -£2,000 NO VAT
Total £8,000
VAT £1,600
Total payable £9,600

Thanks in advance

les35

Re: At what point is VAT added to the sale of a van including a part exchange

Postby les35 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Example 1 is correct. VAT is added before the part exchange price is subtracted.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”