This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

online filing exclusion number 90 ??

robbob
online filing exclusion number 90 ??

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 pm

I seem to be having issues in that my software provider's calcs (btc) are different from my manual calcs for ye 5/4/2018

It looks like it may be online exclusion number 90 that may be at fault, unfortunately the warning i normally get from btc is not present - to be fair them number 90 is last on the list and hmrc were pretty tardy releasing their list this year so they may still be working on the wqarnings as we speak.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/707897/2017-18-exc-indi-v1.pdf

If anyone can test calculation and advise what they think that would be great cheers.

Ok
Salary 8160
Interest 9000
Dividends 20,000
Total income 37,160

BTC is coming out with £1474.50 tax due
3k interest at 20% and 11660 divis at 7.5% = 874.50
Total tax due 1474.50

My manual calculation would simply be 14660 dividends at 7.5% = 1099.50
Basically i use the personal allowance with interest first where btc (hmrc approved calcs) uses it with dividends.

It is late so i may have missed something to do with how the savings starting rates work.

Cheers

SteLacca

Re: online filing exclusion number 90 ??

Postby SteLacca » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Digita comes up with your manual figure, £1,099.50, and I can't see anything suspicious about the calculation.

robbob

Re: online filing exclusion number 90 ??

Postby robbob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Cheers for that SteLecca,its rather annoying this case being the last one on the official list, i think hmrc only owned up to these later ones in May?. Not sure what hmrc were playing at getting such a simple scenario right the previous year but wrong this year if that is the case. I know btc have had to release more than one update this year covering these items - i feel sorry for the poor bods who go to the trouble of getting the programs to work as specified for start of the tax year then have to start tinkering with their final product.

Wait till we get the fun and games with making tax digital for vat - perhaps we need to get the daily mail on the case highlighting the fact that hmrc can't add up such simple numbers.

Return to “Income Tax”