This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT On The Sale Of Military Uniforms and Other Clothing

Militaria
CGT On The Sale Of Military Uniforms and Other Clothing

Postby Militaria » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm

I have an unusual CGT question, which I wonder if anyone on here is able to help with. We have a collection of 18th and 19th century army uniforms which we are thinking of selling at auction, as their condition is deteriorating and they have been stored in trunks for decades. They really belong in a collection or museum. The clothing and accessories have been passed down through the family in each generation, so there has been no purchase cost since they were brand new. The value of the combined collection is estimated to be between £30-40k.

My question is - do military uniforms and civil clothing come under the "Wasting Asset" exemption under CGT rules, or would they be dealt with as antiques and be liable for CGT if sold?

My thinking is that they probably come under the "Wasting Asset" exemption for the following reasons:

- Uniforms are designed to be worn by the sole individual for whom they were made/issued to, and would not be expected to be in use for anything near 50 years.
- In all cases, the regiments either no longer exist or are amagamation several times over into modern units and therefore the insignia and style of uniform has no useful purpose as an item of clothing, except possible display.
- Nobody in this era would wear clothing of this style, if it is even wearable.

I would be very interested to hear anyone's advice on this topic, especially if you have ever had direct experience of such circumstances.

Many thanks,

bd6759

Re: CGT On The Sale Of Military Uniforms and Other Clothing

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:54 pm

It is clearly an antique. The predictable life test is the life at the time you acquired it. If it was over 50 years old when you acquired it, it has life of over 50 years.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”