This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT & shares cost re-allocation from M&A event

kiwilondon99
CGT & shares cost re-allocation from M&A event

Postby kiwilondon99 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Starting to put tax + CGT data together
Tax Accountant from top tier firm - so to answer a tiddler question will cost me a bomb [ know that from past !! ] Net tax impact effect to me is zero tax impact/cGT on this overall
As noted below - inteerested in how costs are reallocated from a CGT event

BACKGROUND : So - Invested personally - in an AIM co [X} 10 years ago. 35k shares £ 1800
2 M&A transactions back to back in 17-18
A] demerger assets to NEW CO – an asset sold from X into A, a Canada TSX listed giving 850 new share[0.0243 new per old]
Plus back to back
B] rump of company assets left, became a sub of an unlisted Canada business on 1:10 in new co via some Canada scheme of arrangement etc. NOW: Note no holding no value on the Original AIM investment [X}

Trying to apportion the costs to new holdings :
So 850 Listed [A] & reallocated cost now for these is = ?
And 3500 unlisted [B} Canad also & reallocated cost is = ?
Reallocated from Org [X] total £ 1800
And what is the CGT position on A

So how does one allocate base cost to these 2 new holdings – whats the mechanisms?
Interested as the Holding in new LISTED [A] above is to be taken over in 18-19 – so need some senible cost
Again-sadly due to such minor size- unlikely to cause any CGT 18-19 return impact but is CGT event – but Cost element calculation/methodology is of interest to me
Just really interested in how the mechanisms work for allocating individual holding costs ?

many thanks

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”