This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

property losses

Feedback
property losses

Postby Feedback » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am

we have a new client that has various sources of income, and also has a BTL property that makes losses. The previous accountants have never included the property income on the tax return, as there is no income derived from this, it has always been losses. My view is that property losses should be included on the return.

Who is correct?

Feedback

Re: property losses

Postby Feedback » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 am

I've answered my own question. if the net income after expenses is between £2500-£9999 then it does not need to be disclosed on a return

bd6759

Re: property losses

Postby bd6759 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 pm

I've answered my own question. if the net income after expenses is between £2500-£9999 then it does not need to be disclosed on a return
That is not correct.

A person who has been served notice under s8 is required to gove such information as HMRC require. HMRC require details of the property incoem and it should be included.

The figures you quote refer to HMRC guidance for coding out other income where a tax return has not been requested.

Return to “Income Tax”