This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

(IHT) House gifted, sold, gifter lived in new house rent free

SG2000
(IHT) House gifted, sold, gifter lived in new house rent free

Postby SG2000 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm

In 1995, my mother transferred ownership of her house to my brother and I and then continued to live there, alone, covering all bills apart from house insurance but not paying rent. I understand this arrangement is classed as a "Gift with reservation of benefit" (GWR) for IHT purposes.

In 1996, as my mother wished to move elsewhere, the house was sold, another house purchased and the same living arrangements continued as before until her death intestate in 2018. At the time of the move, the price of the second house was £50 (fifty pounds) less than the £85,000 selling price of the first (not including stamp duty). My brother paid for all additional costs of the move and advised me there would be no CGT to pay as we'd made no benefit of capital from the transaction. HMRC were not informed of the sale of the gifted property.

We are about to apply for a Grant of Representation and the question now arises as to which property should be considered to have been part of my mothers estate as a GWR for IHT purposes (IHT403). If the first property, then how would the value be assessed?

The second house, in which she lived for 22 years, is in need of renovation and probably now worth £275,000 at most.

The rest of my mother's estate has a value of about £12,000, so it may be moot whether there is IHT to pay, but I can find no examples of how this kind of situation has been handled by others.

pawncob

Re: (IHT) House gifted, sold, gifter lived in new house rent free

Postby pawncob » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:47 pm

The second property is the one subject to GWR. The benefit of the first one ceased on sale.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Postby maths » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

The sale of the original property by you/brother would have given rise to a CGT charge if sale proceeds exceeded the market value of the property wen it was gifted.

As pawncob indicates the reservation of benefit on the first property ceased but such a reservation arose when mother moved into new property.

SG2000

Postby SG2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Can you offer any guidance on how to detail the first and second reservations in IHT403? Need both be declared?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I would go with Yes to Q8 and then put the details in Q12 - including the address of property A and state that it was replaced by property B in the third column.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”