This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT

diamond2
CGT

Postby diamond2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:15 pm

HI there

Can anyone advise me please? I currently rent out my house, with the use of a BTL mortgage of £240k, and I have bought a flat with some of the profit from the house, and a smallish mortgage. The flat is now my permanent residence. I had intended moving back to my house one day, but as time goes by this is now less likely, and I feel that as the rules are shortly changing for Landlords I may be better of selling the property. Can anyone advise me how much CGT I will have to pay please? I have owned the house for 29 years and have rented it out for the last 3 years.

Thanks you in advance.

Kind regards

Amanda.

SteLacca

Re: CGT

Postby SteLacca » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

There isn't enough information in your question.

When did you move out of the house? How much do you expect it to sell for? What were the associated costs of purchase (and expected associated costs of sale). Have any improvements been carried out on the property during ownership, and if so, what was their nature and cost?

diamond2

Postby diamond2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:19 am

Hi again

As mentioned previously I moved out 3 years ago and I have rented it out ever since. The BTL mortgage valued it at £320k 3 years ago - they are currently selling for about £380k. (I originally bought it back in 1989 for £93500). I don't want exact figures, (yes, money has obviously been spent on it), just a rough idea. Am I looking at paying CGT for the difference in the value of the property 3 years ago and what I could sell it for now, (roughly £60k)? If so what percentage would I pay in CGT please?

Many thanks,

Amanda

maths

Postby maths » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am

If you lived in the property apart from the last 3 years there will be no CGT charge on any gain made on sale.

diamond2

Postby diamond2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Thank you so much for this. Can you tell me when CGT would start to kick in please?

Many thanks.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Under current rules, assuming that you are UK resident, the CGT will be payable by 31 January following the end of the tax year in which you sell.

However, HMG is currently conducting a consultation to accelerate the Return and payment of capital gains to bring it into charge and payable within 30 days.

If you are non-resident in the UK, you are already within the 30 day deadline.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”