This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

get a correct tax code

marti007
get a correct tax code

Postby marti007 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi everybody!

Here is my situation: I got a job offer with good benefits and better pay than my previous job. Only thing is what i am worry about it is monthly pay.
I always have been getting paid weekly what gave me a secure about my financial circumantences. What is my mayor worry here is getting a wrong tax code for this job and i will get lot less salary than i expected. That would be my very first monthly paid job. I just keep think about what if i get wrong tax code because HMRC think that my second job. I heard many many horror story about people getting a wrong tax code and get paid little money. My question is how to avoid getting a wrong tax code ?
I know i have to ask P45 from my previous employer but sometimes they delay doing this or they holding back. Can i prevent this and call HMRC or my future employer can sort it out?
I know it maybe sounds silly but I am not expert at this tax staff.
Any advice please?
Thank you very much
Marta

SteLacca

Re: get a correct tax code

Postby SteLacca » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 am

Your previous employer has a legal obligation to provide you with your P45 without undue delay. They can't withhold it for any reason whatsoever.

You should be fine.

marti007

Postby marti007 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you for your answer!
There is any thing i can prevent to get wrong tax code? All my previous job when i applied they gave me HMRC form where i can clear my income situation (like mark which is my only job or second job ...etc). Is it possible to ask my employer for this form?
Thank you very much
Marta

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Your current tax code will be on the P45 which you give to your new employer. Your new employer will use that code. Trying to do it differently will not help.

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:20 pm

There is any thing i can prevent to get wrong tax code? All my previous job when i applied they gave me HMRC form where i can clear my income situation (like mark which is my only job or second job ...etc). Is it possible to ask my employer for this form?
Emergency plan in absence of P45 only is as follows.

You need to speak to your new employers payroll department and request a new starter checklist/form (or equivalent) so that they at least know "this is now your only job", this should at a minimum ensure you get 1/12 of the yearly personal allowance allocated for this first months pay - get them to confirm you have been allocated 1185Lm1 code once they have this completed form in their possession.

Your problem may be if you work for large employer with unhelpful payroll department - the more you can sweet talk them to ensure you are not on a basic rate code the better - heck take them on a date if you need to ensure 20% tax ain't deducted from your months salary.

Return to “Income Tax”