This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on property received as a gift

Lsp54
CGT on property received as a gift

Postby Lsp54 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi,
My client has sold a property he received by Deed of Gift from his parents in 1988. The property comprises a block of 1 shop and 3 residences. An estate agent gave a written valuation near the date of gift.
My client's father died in 1989 and his mother in 1995. The capital gain on the property at the time of the gift was dealt with through retirement relief.

The question is - is there any reason why I shouldn't take the valuation at the date of the gift as my base cost for this year's CGT calculation?
I think I may be looking for complications unnecessarily. Many thanks.

AGoodman

Re: CGT on property received as a gift

Postby AGoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Sounds correct to me. Only question marks are whether the 1988 law was the same as the 1992 Act (I suspect it was) and whether parents could have claimed holdover relief. I was at school at the time and not too interested in CGT but I believe holdover relief was once more generous.

Lsp54

Re: CGT on property received as a gift

Postby Lsp54 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi,
Thanks for replying. The previous accountants apparently did prepare holdover relief elections, but confirmed in writing that these were never forwarded to HMRC because Retirement Relief was granted. I don't know too much about the tax rules back then either.
Thanks again.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”