This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Relative paying my bills?

K12AN
Relative paying my bills?

Postby K12AN » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:23 pm

I have a wealthy relative abroad who wants to give me some money towards my living expenses - so that my family can enjoy a better standard of living and I can save more for my kids etc. He has suggested that he pay off my credit card bill every month. He even told me to not hold back and treat my family to some luxuries. Very generous guy 8-)
He has an international business account which regularly makes GBP payments to the UK for business and he would use this to pay off my credit card, once I provide him my account details. There are no tax implications for him giving these gifts, as the business is domiciled in a tax free country.
This is not a loan from him; purely a gift. If anything he's paying off my loans to the Bank/credit card issuer?
He has made it clear that he doesn't want anything back in return and is actually doing this for several family members already.
This is a genuine offer from a close family member - not a stranger asking for my credit card details in exchange for paying my bills :lol:

My concern is that I am self-employed and don't want any trouble from the HMRC and my self-assessment. I assume I don't need to declare these gifts, but if HMRC investigated my business/income ever, would they look at my credit card records as well as my bank account?

bd6759

Re: Relative paying my bills?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm

if HMRC investigated my business/income ever, would they look at my credit card records as well as my bank account?
Yes.

SteLacca

Re: Relative paying my bills?

Postby SteLacca » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 am

Just make sure that you have adequate evidence that these payments are family gifts and not trading income, and you should be fine.

Return to “Income Tax”