This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Main residence

AGoodman
Re: Main residence

Postby AGoodman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:20 pm

If they (both) die within 7 years of the gift then the retained £2m will be subject to IHT as part of their actual estate and the £500,000 given away will be subject to tax as a chargeable transfer (failed PET). Obviously the NRB will apply to some of the gift and tapering could apply to the excess gift over NRB. Whether or not there is a GROB is irrelevant, other than for taper, if they die within 7 years.

s.102B(4) will prevent a GROB but it does not save the donor from a failed PET.

Obviously if only one dies within 7 years leaving their estate to the survivor, the retained part will be exempt.

I think your sums are right but I can't see how a life interest trust would help you here from a tax perspective. Leaving £1m to an IPDI for widow(er) would carry the same IHT exemption as an outright legacy to that widow(er) but appointing away during widow(er)'s lifetime would be the same an outright gift by widow(er) and carry the same GROB problems if the home.

Yiannis17

Re: Main residence

Postby Yiannis17 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Thank you for the response.

The objective here is to gift as much of the main residence to the children who still live there so that even taper relief is obtained. Ideally and in hindsight it should have been done many years ago!

I suppose the parents could gift the house to the children outright and go and live elsewhere or even abroad and that would save alot of all this planning.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”