This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy to Let Mortgage Tax Relief

eca00cdy2
Buy to Let Mortgage Tax Relief

Postby eca00cdy2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Scenario :
Married Couple. One higher tax earner. One non-tax payer. We own the house jointly.

I realise we have to split rental income - expenses equally..fair enough. So I pay 40% on mine and she pays 0% on hers. Even with this split my wife would still be within her personal tax free allowance.

As the higher rate tax earner can I claim all interest tax relief myself or does this have to also be split 50/50. Can't see anything in HMRC guidelines on this..

maths

Re: Buy to Let Mortgage Tax Relief

Postby maths » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 pm

In the absence of an election jointly owned property (i.e. husband and wife) irrespective of the beneficial ownership percentages any profit is automatically split 50/50.

If an election is made the profit may be split in accordance with the beneficial ownership percentages (e.g. 80/20; 70/30 etc).

However, any attempt to split, say, interest expense other than in line with the agreed percentages is likely to fail.

Return to “Property Taxation”