This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

main residence

eiwob1
main residence

Postby eiwob1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi I wonder if you could help with the above topic.
Do you have to inform HMRC of your of your main residence at any time in respect of property ownership. Looking online I noticed HMRC has me down as living at a different address form 2000 but I have been living elsewhere since. So if I sell the property I'm living in does the information HMRC have on me define where my main residence.

Many thanks for your help.

JRG

Re: main residence

Postby JRG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Your main residence is where you live, where you pay council tax, etc. It's also the place where HMRC will send any post, such as Notices of Coding, Tax Return forms (if required), etc.

If HMRC records have a different address for you then you should inform HMRC of your main residence address as soon a possible.

If you sell your main residence you should inform HMRC of your change of address, just as you would your bank, your energy company, and anyone else who regularly sends you post.

Return to “Income Tax”