This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Repair costs

lloyds99
Repair costs

Postby lloyds99 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 pm

6 months ago I purchased a 30 year old derelict Wimpey Gnd floor studio flat. The flat had been left with a water leak for some very long period before my purchase resulting in ruined floor surfaces and joists throughout the 3 rooms of the flat (Lounge/Kitchen/Bathroom) that had to be replaced. The flooring in the flat was made from a compressed chipboard material which had become absorbent and swollen over a long period and this rot was throughout the flat. The result is that we have had to employ a builder to completely take up all the flooring & joists after first removing the kitchen, bathroom & lounge fittings including plumbing and electrical wiring. The builder refused to put back the bathroom fixtures and fittings and underfloor wiring and has replaced them with new (to a similar standard/value). He also had to take down a lot of the kitchen & bathroom tiling and completely re-tile the kitchen & bathroom. After removing the skirtings to replace the floor every room needed re-plastering and decoration. I have now finished up with a lovely studio flat with a new bathroom and kitchen that is being offered to let. Can I reclaim for all of this work which will cost me around £15k in view of the fact that only the bottom half of the kitchen cupboards needed replacement and we had a new bathroom/plumbing fitted instead of re-fitting the old stuff? phew! that took some writing down.
Thanks for any info'.... Jackie

pawncob

Re: Repair costs

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Odeon case may not cover it as it's a new business.
https://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/technical-activities/technical-resources-search/2007/january/odeon-v-jones.html

In practice expenditure on repairing and redecorating newly acquired premises is allowed unless abnormal. HMRC do not define "abnormal". so I'd claim for it.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

pawncob

Re: Repair costs

Postby pawncob » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:18 am

Search "Odeon" in the searchbox.
https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54387&p=199850&hilit=Odeon#p199850

Opinions still vary.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”