This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Full-time job + additional work

mbaxdpj2
Full-time job + additional work

Postby mbaxdpj2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here with advice on what my best option is, or alternatively who I need to speak to for advice.

I currently have a full-time job with a salary of £65k a year and have never done any additional work. I have recently been asked to do some additional work for another company for a one-off payment of £25k and would like to know what’s the best way to proceed?

Should I setup as a company or a sole trader, or is there something else which would be better for me? I don’t expect this to be a regular thing so really just a one off.

JRG

Re: Full-time job + additional work

Postby JRG » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 pm

There is no need to go through the hassle and expense of setting up a company or declaring yourself a sole trader.

If it is just a one-off payment, just enter it as such on your Self Assessment Tax Return (SATR) under heading 'Other UK income not included on supplementary pages', sub-heading '17. Other taxable income - before expenses and tax taken off:'.
If the payment is net of tax, then enter the tax paid under sub-heading '19. Any tax taken off box 17:'.

Note: If the payment is net of tax it's probably been deducted at 20%. At your current salary level the balance of the 40% tax will become payable after you've submitted your SATR.

mbaxdpj2

Postby mbaxdpj2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Thank you for your response, it’s much appreciated.

At present I do not currently submit a SATR (and have never) as I am under PAYE with my current employer. How does this affect things?

JRG

Postby JRG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:52 am

You could call HMRC and, when they eventually answer, ask them what they would require you to do about this one-off payment, short of completing a SATR. They may just adjust your tax code to collect any income tax due.

Personally, I would suggest registering for online self assessment, which covers not only one-off payments but also payments into pensions, marriage allowance transfer, share dividends, bank interest, etc.

mbaxdpj2

Postby mbaxdpj2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Many thanks!

Return to “Income Tax”