This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift tax on mortgage repayment?

plcanonica
Gift tax on mortgage repayment?

Postby plcanonica » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 am

My partner and I (se have three children together but are not married or civil partners) own our house together, 66% me 34% her. We have a mortgage on it in both our names. I have inherited (from my Swiss domiciled father, so no IHT) enough money to pay off this mortgage. If I pay it off, do I have to declare it as a gift and pay taxes as the house is in both our names?

AGoodman

Re: Gift tax on mortgage repayment?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:46 am

There is normally no gift tax in the UK.

The only tax risk is that if you die within 7 years of the gift it will be brought into account for inheritance tax. Assuming you are both on the mortgage, that would be 33% of the value you are paying.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:24 pm

How did you arrive at 66/34? Is there a deed (or any other evidence that this is the split)?
Is the mortgage interest/capital repaid in this ratio by each person?

If there's no written evidence, the repayment could be deemed to be yours alone.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

plcanonica

Postby plcanonica » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm

We are tenants in common with that percentage split. I think that means the split is registered at the land registry. We arrived at it because when we bought it that was the rough split of our contributions to the deposit. Also at the start we paid the mortgage in those proportions. Then kids came along and mine was the main (or sole) income so I paid most/all the mortgage for a while. On the other hand my partner put all her savings into the mortgage as overpayments so we've lost track of who has paid how much into it. To be honest it doesn't bother either of us, I just want to avoid doing the wrong thing tax-wise.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 pm

If you're happy to make the gift, then there are no tax implications unless you die within seven years.(by which time it will have been conveniently forgotten?)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”