This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Calculation of gains - foreign life insurance

julz.ray
Calculation of gains - foreign life insurance

Postby julz.ray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a question relating to the calculation of the tax I owe on a partial buy-back (part surrender?) of my French life insurance policy. I am a UK resident for tax purposes.

- the French life insurance company sent me a certificate with the amount of "gains", which in France is considered to be the proportion of my withdrawals which represent interest gains. When I calculate what I owe to HMRC, should I take this as a basis, or the total premium paid?

- I paid premiums in at different point in time (not only upon opening the policy) - should the 5% relief and the time-apportioned reductions be calculated for each premium payment? i.e. if I paid 100 euro in 2010 and 200 euro in 2015, then the relief will be (5% x 7 x 100) + (5% x 2 x 200) or 5% x 7 x (100+200)?

Thanks a lot for your help and have a lovely day!
Julie

maths

Re: Calculation of gains - foreign life insurance

Postby maths » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:50 pm

(5% x 7 x 100) + (5% x 2 x 200)

julz.ray

Postby julz.ray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks a lot!

And do you know if I should calculate the gains based on the total premiums paid or the interests earned? (it's a part surrender on a multi-premium policy)

Best,

Julie

julz.ray

Postby julz.ray » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Apologies, I have another question:

Does the time-apportioned relief takes into account when the different premiums were paid?

Say I opened my policy in 2000 and put in 500 E.

I moved in the UK in 2010.

I put in 1000 E in the policy in 2012.

I did a part surrender this year.

Then is the time-apportioned relief (2017-2012)/(2017-2010) even if most of the premiums were paid in when I was a UK resident?

Thanks a lot again for your precious help!

Julie

maths

Postby maths » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Gains are based on a comparison of 5% of premiums paid and the value of partial surrenders.

Time apportioned relief applies based on number of days residency irrespective of date of premium payments.

Return to “International Tax”