This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dutch national in UK receiving money from abroad

Misky
Dutch national in UK receiving money from abroad

Postby Misky » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

Hello,

I am a Dutch national living and working as self-employed in the UK. My father (Dutch national and resident in the Netherlands) gifted me money in 2017 and 2018, the maximum amount allowed under Dutch law (±€5300/yr). My father passed away a couple of months later.

Is this money exempt from tax here, even though he passed away within 7 years of giving it? Or does that rule only apply to UK nationals?

Do I need to declare this to the HMRC and if so, how? I do the self-assessment myself.

Many thanks in advance for your answers!

AGoodman

Re: Dutch national in UK receiving money from abroad

Postby AGoodman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:28 pm

No tax is payable and no need to report. UK inheritance tax is charged on the estate, not on the recipient.

Assuming your father did not have some significant tie to the UK that you have not mentioned, your father's estate would only be taxed on his assets in the UK.

It is arguable that the gifts were UK assets if he transferred them to a UK bank but that would only be a problem if they were more than £325,000 in total.

Misky

Re: Dutch national in UK receiving money from abroad

Postby Misky » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
My father has no ties to the UK and the money did not go into a UK bank account, so I guess it's fine and I won't need to report it.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

Return to “International Tax”