This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Importing from China and exporting to Croatia

Vacker
Importing from China and exporting to Croatia

Postby Vacker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Hello
I have been asked by a Chinese supplier if I will forward goods to a customer in Croatia as apparently that customer cannot import directly from China. They have offered to pay me a fee of 10% of the value of the goods. They will pay the Chinese supplier, the goods will be delivered to me and I will then arrange for delivery onwards to Croatia.
The goods (mosquito repellent bracelets) are worth $1,800 with a shipping cost (By TNT) of $1,560. These goods will then be dispatched to a VAT registered business in Croatia. I understand that I can zero rate these supplies for VAT purposes as they’re being sent to a VAT-registered business in another EU country.
As an importer I pay Import VAT. I can reclaim this VAT in my tax return. As an exporter to an EU country I fulfil the criteria for having my goods zero-rated, thus I won’t charge my customer in Croatia VAT. I also have to pay import duty
The GBPUSD rate for a delivery in September is 1.2909. This is from the HMRC website: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/737054/exrates-monthly-0918.csv/preview
Therefore the goods are worth £1,394.37 and the delivery is £1,208.45
I have previously ordered these bracelets to sell myself, and on my delivery TNT split the delivery into 70% for delivery from China to the UK and 30% from the UK port to my address. 70% of £1,208.45 is £845.91
Thus my Value for Duty is £1,394.37 + £845.91 = £2,240.28. I pay duty at 6.5% on this, so £145.61
My Value for VAT is the VFD + 6.5% duty + remaining delivery costs, so £2,240.28 + £145.61 + £362.54 = £2,748.42, so I pay VAT of £549.68
On my previous invoice from TNT there was a “VAT Adjustment” as well. I don’t know what causes this? Can anyone advise? It was only £6.25
I believe I need to charge the Croatian supplier as follows, with cleared funds to be received before forwarding the goods:
£139.43 – the 10% fee as agreed
£145.61 – the import duty
£XXX – the cost of delivering the good from UK to Croatia (to be confirmed)
Is there anything else I need to consider before proceeding with this?
I would be very grateful for any advice on this, thank you

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”