This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rolled-over earnings?

Troubleandstrife
Rolled-over earnings?

Postby Troubleandstrife » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:26 am

I am employed full-time, a high-rate taxpayer and income tax is deducted at source.
I do occasional freelance work on top of my FTE and file these on my self-assessment form.

But I need advice on what to do about a job I did that is about to pay out:
Five years ago I did a considerable amount of freelance work on a start-up app. I was not paid at the time (as the start-up wasn't making money then anyway) but signed a contract that would give me a % of equity. I continued to do occasional work for the app over the years.
The app founders are about to sell it, and realise a reasonable sum, a % of which will be paid to me.
How do I treat this on my self-assessment form? Will HMRC spread the gains over five years or treat it as a one-off sum in a single tax year?

bd6759

Re: Rolled-over earnings?

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:04 pm

I'd have a tax expert look over the contract to determine if the gain will be subject to income tax or capital gains tax.

Whichever, it will taxable in the year of receipt.

Return to “Income Tax”