This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Start Up, Raising Capital from Foreign Investors

mp2016
Start Up, Raising Capital from Foreign Investors

Postby mp2016 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi

I am about to launch a start up (website based business, no physical goods) and have demand from a wide range of foreign investors to invest in my company.

The amounts invested by each person may range from a few hundred pounds to severl thousand.

In total we expect to have about 750 individual investors. (crowdfunding the start up)

Can UK limited company accept money from foreign investors, who are not high net worth individuals and if so what KYC / AML would have to be undertaken?

Are there any resources that i could read, my own research has not uncovered many.

Thanks in advance.

MP

AGoodman

Re: Start Up, Raising Capital from Foreign Investors

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm

From a tax perspective, no problem.

You need to consider the regulatory aspects though. A private company (Ltd) is not allowed to offer shares to the general public. A public company (Plc) can. I'm afraid I don't know how this is usually addressed.

Return to “General”