This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property business losses/CGT

27Spots
Property business losses/CGT

Postby 27Spots » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

Hi,
Taxpayer has losses arising from single property rental business in the year in which the property was sold. Can the losses be used to reduce the chargeable gain?
A note on "Tax Insider" says yes, but this isn't something I've seen in my more recent studies...could anyone confirm (with ref. to relevant legislation if possible!)?
Thanks
https://www.taxinsider.co.uk/620-What_Can_I_Do_With_Property_Rental_Losses.html

AdamS93

Re: Property business losses/CGT

Postby AdamS93 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am

No.

The article you are on about was written in 2011 - with a new finance act every year (and sometimes two), its best you use up to date information.

27Spots

Postby 27Spots » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks...

I know it was from 2011, hence me stating it wasn't something I'd seen in my more recent studies and asking for confirmation! I wouldn't want to assume that something is no longer relevant, just because I can't find more recent evidence that it is...the old assumption makes an ass out of u and me and all that.... :)

When was that particular rule repealed?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:08 am

It wasn't repealed. s261D TCGA 1992 is still in force. If you don't have an up to date taxes library, you'll find the text here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/3/schedule/1/paragraph/329

Note that relief only extends to particular post-cessation qualifying events. It does not apply to general losses.

Return to “Income Tax”