This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Tax on gifted property from an uncle

redfour
Capital Gains Tax on gifted property from an uncle

Postby redfour » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello forum

I'd really appreciate some advice please.

My uncle and godparent is single and has no kids. He has a small parcel of land with a derelict house sited on it that he would like to gift to me. He bought the land approx 20 years ago for £29,000. I would say it's probably worth somewhere in the region of £150,000 today. He has a main residence and has never lived in the derelict property. Would he, or I, be liable for Capital Gains Tax should he gift it to me?

Thank you kindly in advance for any answers.

bd6759

Re: Capital Gains Tax on gifted property from an uncle

Postby bd6759 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:25 am

Your uncle would be liable to CGT on the increase in value.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:12 pm

As bd6759 says, he's liable to CGT, but if he leaves it to you in his will, assuming his total estate is under the threshold, you'll get it free of CGT.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

accutalk

Postby accutalk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 am

Hello forum

I'd really appreciate some advice please.

My uncle and godparent is single and has no kids. He has a small parcel of land with a derelict house sited on it that he would like to gift to me. He bought the land approx 20 years ago for £29,000. I would say it's probably worth somewhere in the region of £150,000 today. He has a main residence and has never lived in the derelict property. Would he, or I, be liable for Capital Gains Tax should he gift it to me?

Thank you kindly in advance for any answers.
Hello,
Since you have mentioned that the property has not been his main residence for all of the time that he has owned it, he is liable to pay CGT upon the disposal of property.
Your uncle is liable for the CGT minus the expenses such as stamp duty and legal fees.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”