This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift from overseas

Maria2018
Gift from overseas

Postby Maria2018 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:32 pm

I’ve been living in the UK for about two years and I’m a non-Dom but tax resident.
My father, non-Dom, non resident, wants to share his wealth between his children as a gift and I would receive a substantial amount of money.
If he made a transfer from his off shore company account into my off shore private account and I then transferred the money to my UK account, would there be any tax implications?
Would there need to be any documentation for the gift?

AGoodman

Re: Gift from overseas

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:41 pm

A outright gift of foreign monies from a non-dom donor should not attract any UK tax. The complicating factor is the company as it could look like a dividend. If your father is actually receiving the dividend and gifting it to you, it would look much better if he first paid himself then gifted it on.

Maria2018

Postby Maria2018 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 am

Thank you AGoodman for your reply.
As I understand no dividend applies as my farther is the sole owner of a small limited liability company, with no employees and no partners, and the intended gift is from a draw he makes from his company capital.
Does this make it less complicated?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:10 pm

You just need to make it clear from the paperwork that it is a gift from your father and not a transfer from the company.

Maria2018

Postby Maria2018 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Thank you. I appreciate your advice.

Return to “International Tax”