This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Gains Loss on Share against Income Tax

anon_2011_2011
Capital Gains Loss on Share against Income Tax

Postby anon_2011_2011 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyone is able to give me some advice regarding the sale of a limited company's (non-listed) shares at a loss and whether this can be offset against future income tax.

I have seen conflicting advice on general Google searches on this matter and a bit confused as to what the options are.

I joined a limited company as a director/shareholder and bought shares in 2 of the group companies virtually exactly 1 year ago.

I am looking to resign as a director and if I sale my shares in the main operating company back to the other shareholders at a loss can this be declared as a loss against income? When I purchased the shares there were effectively new shares issued to enable all directors to have an equal share holding in the business. I think this means they are Subscription shares? Are there any timing issues as I have only held the shares for 1 year?

The other company is a separately registered limited company which is related to a development project. If this project doesn't achieve the necessary permissions the shares may be effectively value less and I think they can then be declared as share with negligible value. These were purchased in the same way. The development is a land development project and I read somewhere on line that if losses are linked to land or property then a loss cannot be offset but because the loss is related to the shares in a company that was set up for the development is this a potential issue?

Are there any tax issues around a 'connected' person once I have resigned as a director?

Finally, if my future income is not sufficient to offset the loss am I restricted to only having 2 years to offset this?

Apologies for the multitude of questions but there seems to be a lot of conflicting comments on this across the web and I wanted to be sure that I didn't miss out on a potential opportunity or if there is anything I can do to improve my chance of regaining some of the loss.

I would also welcome any recommendations for completing SA tax returns around this issue as although I have previously completed my own SA, this feels beyond my knowledge.

Thank you for your time

Return to “Income Tax”