This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Adjusted Net Income and Foreign Income

Hacel
Adjusted Net Income and Foreign Income

Postby Hacel » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi all and apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm looking for a quick bit of advice.

Gross PAYE income ~41k.
Foreign Income of ~15k from property in a jointly held family business, ~4k of tax has been paid on this and there is a double-taxation agreement in place.
In receipt of child benefit.

Clearly the combined income sneaks me over the 50k trigger point, although it is borderline once pension and personal property allowance is accounted for.

I note that 'adjusted net income' does not give a definitive list of what counts as taxable income and did hear that foreign income may not be counted (I found an article from a number of years ago that stated it was UK income only but cannot for the life of me find it again).

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case?

robbob

Re: Adjusted Net Income and Foreign Income

Postby robbob » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 pm

I can't find anything that would help- i can confirm that on my tax program when you enter salary and overseas rental it calculates the child benefit tax charge as in the same manner as would be done for uk income - so i would guess you are out of luck in this regard unless for some strange reason the income wasn't taxable in the uk in the first place.

Another interesting question is if the overseas tax credit can be used against the high income child benefit charge presuming it applies? - i don't think that would help you though anyway as it looks like your marginal rate of tax alone is higher than the overseas credit rate.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:54 pm

More Robbob scene's than mine but nowhere in the legislation does foreign income appear to be excluded.

Hacel

Postby Hacel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks both for the response.

Fortunately after pension contributions it works out this year but is unlikely to next year.

As an interesting aside I had issues with the FTCR form which this year does not match with the numbers given on the self assessment website. Various references do not match up with the 2018 form (TC34 is not used on the form and TCs 102 through 10x should be 112 through 10x). The 2017 form also has issues and the 2016 form matches the closest.

As a result I gave HMRC a call and was given the advice to ignore the form, go through without claiming any FTCR and use the lowest of foreign tax paid or additional UK tax due for the FTCR value. He advised this was the best route if you only had one property/ property group to claim for. He wasn't particularly interested in my attempt to report an issue with the form and kept pushing that process.

Return to “Income Tax”