This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SA109 Box 15/16 personal allowance question

Robinoz2018
SA109 Box 15/16 personal allowance question

Postby Robinoz2018 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 am

Hello,

I am a UK citizen who has relocated to Australia, where I am a resident for tax purposes but a tempory resident for visa purposes.

I have a property in the UK and received around £7,500 in rental income, less £1500 in property expenses. My taxable profit is approx £6,000, and I am a member of the non-resident landlord scheme.

HMRC have asked for me to complete a tax return so I have completed SA100 and SA105.

I am completing SA109 but am confused by question 15/16. I currently reside in Australia, but I am not a permanent resident of Australia. I submit my tax return in Australia for my income within Australia, so would I be eligible for the personal allowance as a non-resident landlord in the UK?

Kind regards,

Rob

AdamS93

Re: SA109 Box 15/16 personal allowance question

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:17 pm

The quick (and probably) the correct answer is yes - unless you elect to get taxed under s811 ITA 2017 which would not be a good idea.

Return to “Property Taxation”