This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC requesting tax return, not accepting dormant status

Pondlife
HMRC requesting tax return, not accepting dormant status

Postby Pondlife » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm the owner and director of a dormant company which has no assets (just 1 share worth £1, which I own), has never traded, employs no staff and has no banking facilities.

I've filed dormant company accounts, but HMRC are requesting a tax return. I wrote to HMRC in December last year saying the company was dormant, but they recently replied saying that the company was not dormant because "it has trading subsidiaries" (which it doesn't).

I phoned the number on the letter, but when I spoke to someone they said they couldn't change the status over the phone because the company was classed as a "large company", and I'd need to email contactus.largebusinessnortheast@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk. I sent an email to that address last week, but have not received a reply or even a confirmation of receipt.

I've only got until the end of this month before the deadline to file a tax return, and I'm concerned I'll be issued an automatic fine if I can't get it sorted out before then. Does anyone have any pointers for how to get HMRC to correct what seems to be a simple misunderstanding?

wamstax

Re: HMRC requesting tax return, not accepting dormant status

Postby wamstax » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:37 pm

You could of course file a Nil return to keep yourself on the right side with a note saying the company has no subsidiaries and has and is dormant since. ??????

You might also just check Companies House database for the company and also check similar named companies to see what information is reflected for your company and similar named ones to see if you can spot any glaring errors.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Company Taxation”