This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capitol Gains on Land

billgatt
Capitol Gains on Land

Postby billgatt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 am

I was gifted approximately five acres of agricultural land from my late parents around twelve years ago, land was valued at around £24k at that time. During my ownership I purchased a tractor (£3.5K)and a few small pieces of equipment plus fuel etc to help maintain the land. I subsequently sold the land July 2017 for £41k. Under current tax rules I pay tax at 20%. I'm aware that I can set my annual CGT allowance (£11300) and solicitor costs against the gain but are there other items I can add to these to help reduce my tax bill. It is not my intension to quote any specific figures provided through this site but if someone could provide me a hypothetical calculated example of what I could reasonable expect to pay Id very much appreciate the help.

AGoodman

Re: Capitol Gains on Land

Postby AGoodman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm

It's as you thought - deduct the acquisition price, costs of sale and annual allowance and multiply the result by 20%.

You can't deduct for the tractor or repairs etc

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”