This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

IHT250 Amendment

Chrisl007
IHT250 Amendment

Postby Chrisl007 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 am

Hi All,

I am struggling to understand what i need to do to amend the IHT250 and hope for some help here.

A little background:
Originally IHT250 was submitted with the estate value of £320k just under the limit for paying IHT.
A few months later I believe i have undervalued the house and it is probably worth £20-£30k more than originally thought and therefore I need to send an update to HMRC.
Whilst looking into this i have also noticed that there is a new 'main residence allowance' of a further £100k in 17/18 so even though the value now goes over £325k slightly it will still be exempt from IHT.

I am getting confused what form is needed for the amendment.
I have seen form C4 however this says its only used when you are amending the amount of tax due which is not the case as the estate will remain tax free so i assume this wouldn't be used.

Also do i need to inform the land registry as the Land Registry completion of registration statement shows the value as £320k so does this get amended automatically or does it get left and is it just HMRC that need to be informed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee Young

Re: IHT250 Amendment

Postby Lee Young » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:11 pm

To be honest, unless the increase results in any tax I wouldn't bother to make a correction. But if you want to then send a letter to HMRC detailing the changes.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”