This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dormant account - paying accountant for services

Gico
Dormant account - paying accountant for services

Postby Gico » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi there an overseas friend of mine has had a dormant account for 5 years and has been paying an accountant to deal with HMRC and companies house.
He’s been paying them yearly for their services , but recently he figured he could webfile to companies house for £15 himself and did not need their services for which they charged him extra fees. He has informed HMRC that the company is dormant.

Does he still need an accountant to prepare and submit accounts or can this all be done by himself online. It seems strange that the accountant is willing to take fees if this can all be done without their services. All he has to deal with is companies house I guess?

There are no future plans to make the Limited company active he just wishes to keep the name as a placeholder for possible future business.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gico

Yiannis17

Re: Dormant account - paying accountant for services

Postby Yiannis17 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm

It is not just to Companies House they will need to submit. If your overseas friend knows what he/she is doing they can file dormant accounts and a nil corporation tax return to HMRC. They will need to register with government gateway and do it online. Penalties do apply if these documents are late. I assume the fee of £15, should be £13 is for the confirmation statement and not dormant accounts.

However any accountant would charge to carry out this yearly service so not sure why you find this strange, unless the accountant is a charity which many clients at times expect from professional advisers.

Gico

Re: Dormant account - paying accountant for services

Postby Gico » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks Yiannis.

Only found it strange as the accountant never said it was that easy and my friend could have done it himself.

He has spoken to HMRC and they said all he needs to do is inform them that he is dormant and not active and then he will no longer have to submit any accounts to HMRC.

So if he sets up a gateway ID himself and informs them he is dormant/non active - then all he has to do in future is webfile to companies house (yes, you are correct it was £13)

Gico

Return to “Company Taxation”